ACADEMY RULES & ETIQUETTE
At Coast Academy we take pride in our professionalism and strive to maintain the highest level of respect and safety for our members.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Etiquette
- The Student must bow when entering and exiting the mats.
- The Instructor and Student must be respectful in the gym.
- Keep a respectful posture in the training area.
- Refer to non black-belt instructors as “Coaches”.
- Refer to black-belt instructors as “Professors”.
- Classes end with Students lining up in descending grade order.
- For safety reasons, if a Student is late he or she must wait by the side of the mat for permission from the Instructor to join the class.
- For safety reasons, if a Student needs to leave the mat or leave early he or she must ask the Instructor for permission.
- Partners must bow or shake hands with each other before or after practice.
- During class, when the Instructor is demonstrating the techniques, every Student must pay attention.
- Talking should be kept to a minimum level and should relate to the class subject.
- Absolutely no foul language inside the academy.
- Keep fingernails and toenails short for everyone’s safety.
- All Students, Instructors, Professors, and visitors must wear a Gi / Uniform to Gi Classes. Gi Pants and Top must match in colour.
- It is mandatory to have underwear underneath the Gi pants.
- For No-Gi Classes, students must wear Gi pants or a boardshort (or black short) along with a training shirt.
- The uniform must be clean at all times. A dirty uniform is a sign of disrespect.
- The uniform must be worn at all times.
- When tying the uniform, Students must face the edge of the mats.
- The belt represents your progress. Keep it on.
- All metal objects, jewellery, piercing, necklaces and other items should be removed.
- No shoes, food or drink on the mat.
- No cell phones in the training area.
- All Students and Instructors must wear shoes when walking outside of the training area.
- You must wear shoes when entering or using the bathroom.
- Never challenge a senior belt.
- Make way to senior belts when rolling.